Atlanta Braves Pitcher Tim Hudson Suffers Horrible Injury
Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez and a trainer rushed out to aid Hudson, who took off his cap and held his shaved head in his hands. EMS workers finally strapped the right-hander to a backboard and drove him off the field on a cart as fans applauded.
Atlanta Braves Trade Rumors: Team Should Look to Acquire Jake Peavy, Jesse Crain
The Atlanta Braves have a commanding lead in the NL East, but general manager Frank Wren would be wise to add a starting pitcher and a reliever before next Wednesday afternoon—or, in other words, before Major League Baseball’s trade deadline.
Atlanta’s pitching staff isn’t horrible, but it could be better. The rotation is the 16th best in baseball this season in terms of WAR, according to FanGraphs. The bullpen has been a little bit better, as it ranks 12th in the game in WAR, per FanGraphs. The Braves could use a second-half boost in both areas.
The team’s biggest need this summer is another left-handed reliever. Jayson Stark of ESPN reports Atlanta has targeted players such James Russell from the Chicago Cubs, Scott Downs from the Los Angeles Angels, Mike Dunn from the Miami Marlins, and Oliver Perez and Charlie Furbush from the Seattle Mariners.
Atlanta Braves Top 20 2013 PRE-SEASON Prospects in Review
1) Julio Teheran, RHP, Grade B+: Very successful rookie campaign, 3.25 ERA with 100/25 K/BB in 119 innings over 19 starts. Can’t complain about this; put difficult 2012 Triple-A season behind him and then some.
2) J.R. Graham, RHP, Grade B: Posted 4.04 ERA with 28/10 K/BB in 36 innings for Double-A Mississippi before going down with a shoulder injury. Wait and see at this point.
3) Alex Wood, LHP, Grade B-: Borderline B. 1.61 ERA with 62/17 K/BB in 62 innings between Double-A and Triple-A; 2.45 ERA with 26/8 K/BB in 22 major league innings. Does he start or relieve? Either way, he’s been effective.
4) Luke Sims, RHP, Grade B-: Borderline B. 3.03 ERA with 83/31 K/BB in 77 innings for Low-A Rome, 53 hits. Very solid campaign from 2012 first-round pick; stock up a notch.
5) Sean Gilmartin, LHP, Grade B-: 5.83 ERA with 47/30 K/BB in 71 innings for Triple-A Gwinnett, 89 hits. Out since mid-June with shoulder soreness; was pitching without his usual command or stuff before being disabled.