Yesterday, we gave an introduction to the Arizona Fall League, which opened play last night. If the first game played by the Scottsdale Scorpions is any indication, it should be a good month of play out in desert country.
Funny, the story on the mlb site about this game mentions mostly Pirate and Yankee prospects, but not that Braves players were in the middle of the decisive rally as Scottsdale came up with 3 runs in the ninth inning to defeat Salt River 6-5.
Of the 11 hits and 5 walks collected by Scottsdale, Tommy La Stella (2 for 4) and Kyle Kubitza (3 for 4) combined for 5 and 1 of them, respectively. La Stella also advanced a runner on a groundout. But the ninth inning play-by-play is particularly telling:
- Kyle Kubitza doubles (1) on a sharp line drive to right fielder Stephen Piscotty.
- With Mason Williams batting, wild pitch by Matt Stites, Kyle Kubitza to 3rd.
- Mason Williams singles on a line drive to left fielder Todd Glaesmann. Kyle Kubitza scores.
- With Alen Hanson batting, Mason Williams advances to 2nd on a balk.
- Alen Hanson singles on a bunt ground ball to third baseman Jake Lamb. Mason Williams scores. Throwing error by third baseman Jake Lamb.
- With Tommy La Stella batting, Alen Hanson steals (1) 2nd base.
- Tommy La Stella doubles (1) on a line drive to left fielder Todd Glaesmann. Alen Hanson scores.
Yeah – the story mentions two-inning starter Jameson Taillon and SS Alen Hanson a bunch. Hanson was 2 for 4 with two bunt singles, a caught stealing and 2 strikeouts. But he did score the winning run… thanks to Tommy La Stella’s double to knock him in. Never mind Kyle Kubitza starting the rally with a double and run scored. Juan Jaime pitched the 5th inning – 1 hit, 1 unearned run allowed, 1 walk.