Tuesday felt like a whirl wind of activity in the baseball world. Trades were flying all over Twitter as it was difficult to stay up to date with all the action. The Atlanta Braves fans though saw nothing happen.
This of course discouraged some that thought the Braves should be making moves to better the team or just to stay afloat with these other teams.
The salaries that are being thrown to some of these guys, it’s no wonder they are moving to new cities. The talks to get these moves happening must have began at the GM Meetings that occurred last month.
The Winter Meetings haven’t even started yet but many moves have already happened. If you missed anything, below is a break down of the day. If I missed anything (I may have, lots happened) or anything else happens throughout the night, feel free to add to the comments.
- The Yankees sign Kelly Johnson
- The Yankees have agreed to sign Jacoby Ellsbury for $153MM over seven years
- Yankees sign Brian McCann five-year, $85MM
- Marlins agreed to a three-year, $21MM contract with catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia
- The Phillies signed catcher Wil Nieves
- Tampa Bay acquired catcher Ryan Hanigan from the Reds and Heath Bell from the Diamondbacks. The Reds will receive left-handed pitching prospect David Holmberg from the Diamondbacks. Arizona was able to shed all but $500K of Bell’s salary and will receive minor league righty Justin Choate as well as a player to be named later or cash from the Rays
- The Tigers agreed with Joe Nathan on a two-year deal for $20MM range
- Twins signed pitcher Ricky Nolasco to a four-year, $49MM contract.
- The Red Sox agreed with catcher A.J. Pierzynski on a one year $8.25MM contact
- The Twins agreed with Phil Hughes to a three-year, $24MM deal
- Scott Kazmir signed a two year deal worth $22MM with the Athletics
- The Rays reached a two-year, $4.5MM agreement with catcher Jose Molina
- Giants signed Tim Lincecum to 2 years $35MM
- Royals signed Jason Vargas with a 4 years, $32MM contract
- Giants added Tim Hudson with a 2 years, $23MM deal
- James Shields signed with the Royals for 1 year $13.5MM option
- Red Sox resigned Jon Lester to a 1 year $13MM option
- The Pirates signed Wandy Rodriguez with a 1 year $13MM player option
- The Giants resigned Ryan Vogelsong with a 1 year $5MM contract
- Dodgers added Dan Haren with a 1 year $10MM contract
- Rockies resigned Jorge de la Rosa with a 1 year $11MM deal
- Josh Johnson was added to the Padres with a 1 year $8MM deal