7:35 PM EST, Friday, April 11th
Probables: Tanner Roark (1-0, 3.00 ERA) vs Julio Teheran (1-1, 2.77 ERA)
7:10 PM EST, Saturday, April 12th
1:35 PM EST, Sunday, April 13th
Things To Look For:
- Andrelton Simmons was scratched from last nights game due to an apparent wrist injury, and is sitting out Friday’s game as well. Fredi Gonzalez was quoted as saying it was a day to day injury, so look for Simmons to be back in the lineup on Saturday. Ramiro Pena will once again start in his place.
- Chipper Jones was in the house last night to talk hitting with B.J. Upton, and pass along the resounding confidence that seems to be flowing from Freddie Freeman, who is now batting .419/.514/.677. Chippers influence seemed to have a slight, almost immediate effect on Upton, but look for any sign of long term effects of Chippers teachings this weekend.
- Although he took the loss, Alex Wood was highly effective against this same Nationals team just five days ago, tossing 7 innings of 4 hit ball, falling only to a late home run off of Ian Desmond. Wood has been spectacular in 2014, so look for a dominant performance.
- The Nationals have lost twice so far this year, both to the Braves.
- Matt Williams seems to still be playing darts with Ian Desmond and Bryce Harper‘s places in the batting order, although he seems to have solidified on Jayson Werth and Adam LaRoche hitting 3rd and 4th respectively.
- The Nationals have been racking up strikeouts (105 strikeouts in 82 innings) at a historic pace, and the Braves are more than a bit strikeout prone. Look for this to be a prominent factor in this weekend’s series.