We knew that we couldn't get all the way through the Spring session in Florida without some news... but the Atlanta Braves didn't need to start things in this way.
As this is written, the Atlanta Braves are less than 24 hours away from taking the field for their first 2020 Grapefruit League game - and their second home game in the new facility at North Port's still shiny-new Cool Today Park.
So we're dedicating this podcast to the news we've heard lately, the stories that are emerging, and the things we want to see over this next 6 weeks of Spring action.
- SEGMENT 1: We're not just limiting ourselves to Braves news, either... although there was one sad story that hit home this week that we'd rather not have heard.
- SEGMENT 2: What are those position battles... or are there any at all? That's a tough question, but there's certain realities that the Braves face, and it's because of their unusual (quality) depth.
- SEGMENT 3: So what are you looking for and what do you want to see this Spring. A healthy pitching staff would be priority #1, of course, but there's going to be a number of minor leaguers making a show in the later innings... that could be fun to follow, especially certain ones among the non-roster invitees.
- SATURDAY: Baltimore Orioles (or some semblance thereof) vs. the Braves at North Port.
- SUNDAY: a familiar Spring foe: Detroit comes to the new house.
- MONDAY: the first road trip - up to Dunedin to visit the Blue Jays
- All games at 12:05 eastern... or within a minute or two of that. The Blue Jays start is 2 minutes later (to allow for the extra anthem, perhaps?)
Enjoy the games!